Monday, July 18, 2011

Blog 5

It’s 6:25 on Tuesday morning here, meaning the Open Water World Championships start today with the women’s 10K, which Eva and Christine are both competing in! We’re all so excited, and more than ready to begin competing. I’m so excited to watch today, and know that Team USA is ready to do some amazing things. I have to get ready to go to breakfast in a few minutes, so ill just do some quick bullet points on the last couple of days
I’ve now worked out in the hotel pool twice, just to take a break from the open water, and get a pool practice in. the hotel pool is 20 meters, so I’ve had to adjust my workouts accordingly, but it’s been really nice to finally do some flipturns again! Also, there are no lanelines, so it gets a little wavy, which is perfect simulation for the open water
We’re now onto Pirates 3. We’ve finished 1 and 2, and got about halfway through the third one last night before we were all too tired to keep our eyes open any longer (at around 8:50 PM..)
At lunch yesterday, Paul got up and gave a really nice toast to the staff (chefs, waiters, etc), thanking them for the great food and service. They’ve done such a good job of accommodating all of the different teams/countries preferences, and are extremely friendly and welcoming on top of that – they definitely deserved the toast! In addition, our translator, Claire, was able to tell the staff what exactly Paul was saying.
I’ve progressed to being able to eat SPAGHETTI with CHOPSTICKS – I never thought this was possible. It may not be the prettiest thing, but I’m getting there!
We skyped with the pool team for World Champs last night, which was really cool. They’re still in Australia for training camp, and come over to Shanghai tomorrow. Since we won’t really get a chance to see them (their competition venue is about an hour and a half away from us), it was really nice to get to see them over the computer, and it meant a lot to hear all their good luck wishes
I also have now skyped with my parents twice, and yesterday morning even did a three-way video chat with my parents and Ryan .. even though I’m across the world from them, the video chat is crystal clear and it felt like I was right in the same room as them. I’ve also been in constant contact with my other brother (Brandon) and sister (Carly), so I really do feel like my family is right here with me
Claire’s mom got here yesterday, and brought with her a suitcase of Easy Mac, chocolate chip cookies, variety pack of chocolate candy bars .. basically, heaven. The 100 Grand I had last night couldn’t have tasted better. We also have a jumbo bag of Hershey Kisses that Andrew brought with him on Sunday night.. but I believe they’re almost gone.. whoops!


Time for breakfast, and then to go watch the first race of the competition! Send good luck vibes our way, and I’ll be sure to update as soon as possible!
Love from China,
Ashley

1 comment:

  1. Love the blogging Smooshley! I'm ready for the next update!

    ReplyDelete